Burbank Masonic Lodge has been in existence for over 100 years. In 1909 Burbank Lodge No. 406 Free and Accepted Masons received a dispensation from California Grand Lodge to form a Lodge in Burbank on June 28th 1909. We held our first meeting under dispensation on July 1st 1909; but the history of Masonry in Burbank goes back earlier.
In 1908, when the first preliminary meeting to form a Lodge was held, the population of Burbank was estimated at less than 400 people, spread over an area of about 10 square miles. Burbank, not yet a city, had a small business district surrounded by many small farms of 20 acres or less.
The first home of the Burbank Masonic Lodge was the second floor of a building on South San Fernando Road. The original lease of the second floor was for $200 a year for ten years. Subsequent monthly rentals ran from $35 to $100 until the Lodge moved to it’s second location on Olive St. in 1931. We moved to our current home in 2000.
The first Officers of the Burbank Lodge were Willard A Coon, Master; George M. Olin, Senior Warden and Charles Fischer, Junior Warden. Applications for Degrees and affiliations during the first two meetings of the Lodge were received from: five Ranchers, five Farmers, a Doctor, Carpenter, Teamster, Butcher, Teacher, Oil Driller, and a Railroad worker.
Burbank lodge is built on the backs of basic, honest, hard working men and their families – the very flower of Masonic Culture. 406 is still supported by people of this caliber. That’s why we have successfully stood alone for a century.
Freemasonry has endured not because of its antiquity, its influence, or its social standing, but because there have been so many who have lived it. The effectiveness of Masonic teachings will always be the measure by which the outside world judges Freemasonry; the proof of Freemasonry is in our deeds and it is in our deeds that Freemasonry is made known to non-Masons. The only way that the Craft can be judged is by its product. The prestige of Freemasonry lies squarely on the shoulders of each of us.
– Brother Wilbur Best, Southern California Research Lodge “Fraternal Review” 2004